10 Questions with…
Red Zeppelin Winery
Red Zeppelin Winery
P.O. Box 522
Cayucos CA 93430
BIO of Stillman Brown: Ladies, Gentlemen, and fruit flies…
With the essential philosophy to play as hard as you work, these Red Zeppelin kids are rocking like Billy Idol in the 1980s and making kick ass Syrah. I mean that…it kicks your ass. Raging berry and spicy black pepper explode from the glass. One sip and you’ll never go back.
The winemaker with a cult following now is a card carrying member of the ‘BEST SYRAH’ club. Stillman Brown (aka Swilly Idol) is a damn good, no-nonsense winemaker with a charismatic bent for baroque music and punk rock. Stillman’s wines feature the same quintessential harmony and balance between the elegant and the austere as demonstrated in his personal dedication to excellent wine making. There is no stopping this team, and we couldn’t be happier.*Elvis died for your sins; he has left the vineyard.
Thanks for agreeing to be a part of the Lush Wine & Spirits blog. Please answer the following questions in whatever way you see fit. We want your voice, personality, and opinions to come through!
1) What is the best thing you’ve drank in the last week? What about in the last year?
Last week, the 2006 Tudor Pinot Noir, Balo Vineyard; last year, no single winner.
2) What do you think is the most underrated grape varietal or region? Overrated?
Underrated varietal, Chenin Blanc (by the marketplace, anyway).
Overrated, Pinotage (though it makes wonderful Rose).
3) Who are your favorite food and wine writers?
Decline to state! The pompous witlings have spies on the ‘net.
4) What are your three favorite food cities?
Paris, San Francisco, and Barstow, California.
5) Top three restaurants you revisit all the time in Chicago?
I’ve never been to the same Chicago restaurant twice.
6) What is your most memorable dining or drinking experience?
A hot dog in the parking lot of the French Laundry. No…it was dinner at Fleur de Lys in San Francisco.
7) Between wine, beer, and spirits – when do you reach for each? If you HAD to do without one, which would it be?
Wine, unless I’m in a dive bar. Spirits, in a dive bar. I suppose I could do without beer – oh wait, I almost always do!
8) What is the best thing about your job?
When I have the chance to plant a vineyard block, and when I first try the bottled wine from its vines. That, and singing in punk bands.
9) If you had to describe yourself as a certain wine, what would it be? (i.e. Australian Shiraz – spicy, bold, and seductive. German Riesling – sometimes sweet (but hard to predict if it will be), elegant, and requiring of patience.)
Madeira, very aged, quite nutty and blazingly acidic. But sweet and lasting…
10) You’re on death row (sorry). What’s your final meal?
A platter of foie gras, with a gun at the bottom. Then again, my escape attempt might be undermined by “fat coma” n’est pas?